This banana and blueberry smoothie with almond milk is made simply, great for breakfast or a refreshing snack!
My energy punch banana blueberry smoothie is so refreshing to enjoy all summer long. It’s one of my favorite smoothies to make because it’s quick, healthy, and filling! Full of antioxidants to fight bad cells and low calories, this is a great smoothie to start the day or enjoy after a workout.
The fresh bluish-purple color of blueberries comes from the high levels of phytonutrients called anthocyanidins: they are good for building and strengthening collagen. Blueberries for the win!
You will also add bananas to the blueberry smoothie. They are one of the highest sources of potassium alongside avocados. Potassium is an electrolyte we lose when we sweat, so putting it back into your body is great for bone health!
Mix it all together with some almond milk or regular cow’s milk, and it makes for a healthy breakfast or snack between meals that are nutritious and super filling!
Ingredients for making blueberry and banana smoothie with almond milk
Bananas are one of the most popular smoothie ingredients, and for a good reason. They thicken a smoothie, sweeten it, and also give it a creamy texture. That’s why I add bananas to my blueberry smoothie. You can also replace the banana with dates, pears, avocados, or even applesauce (unsweetened).
This is a key ingredient in making the recipe. Go organic if you can and harvest large plump blueberries for the best flavor. If blueberries are out of season, you can also use frozen blueberries.
This is my favorite liquid, but you can use regular cow’s milk, and you can even use water. I love the intense flavor that almond milk offers to the smoothie, and it’s a great source of calcium if you buy the right kind.
You can use any nut butter of your choice. I like to use almond butter to thicken the smoothie, add a nutty flavor, and fill it with some protein.
You can basically throw blueberries, bananas, almond milk, and almond butter together in a blender. Then, blend all the ingredients together for about a minute until everything is smooth and creamy!
And the result is the ultimate refreshing blueberry banana smoothie. Do enough for two, or save one for yourself for a snack later. I love how easy this smoothie is, how colorful it looks and how nutritious it is! It’s a smoothie you can easily make over and over with simple everyday ingredients!
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 cup of blueberries
- 1 tablespoon of almond butter
- 1 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- Toppings: sliced banana and blueberries
- Put all the ingredients in a blender in the order of appearance.
- Blend the ingredients in a blender on high speed for 2-3 minutes until smooth and creamy.
- Taste the smoothie, adding more almond milk if it’s too thick or adding a sweetener of choice if it’s not sweet enough for you.
- Add fresh fruit toppings for garnish.
- Enjoy the cold immediately or store it in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours.
Storage: Store leftovers in an airtight glass jar. It will stay fresh for up to 24 hours. But ideally, it’s best to consume it immediately after making it substitutes: For best results, follow the recipe as it is. However, here are some common substitutes that would work well in this recipe.
- Instead of almond milk, you can use any other plant-based milk to keep this vegan or use regular or 2% milk
- To replace the banana, you can use a cup of any chopped fruit. To keep the blue color, I recommend pineapple, apple, or pear.